Wool Diaper Covers
Wool Diaper Covers paired together with fitted diapers provide the ultimate night time relief for parents with an extreme heavy wetter. Our favourite wool covers are the Sustainablebabyish Knit Wool Covers which are incredibly well made.
Wool is the hair from a sheep, it is removed without harming the animal. Wool diaper covers are an excellent choice for your cloth diapering needs because they are completely sustainable, biodegradable and water repellent. Wool is very breathable and works by keeping sheep properly temperature controlled regardless of the time of year.
- Wool is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial when coupled with good quality lanolin. The lanolin is added to your cover to enhance the water-repellenancy and also has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- When properly cared for wool diaper covers can last for the complete cloth diapering years and often be resold for at least the original purchase price if not more!
- Wool is breathable and can help to assist in reducing diaper rashes.
- Wool is naturally flame-resistant and will resist burning.
- Clean, and properly lanolized wool covers will absorb about 30% of their weight in moisture before they feel wet. We recommend hang drying wool covers between uses for at least a few hours.
Wool covers are usually hand knit, machine knit, or sewn from wool fabric. Hand knit covers are generally the most beautiful and generally the most expensive wool covers, some companies such as WAHM Bumz manufacture their diaper covers from upcycled wool sweaters so that each cover is completely unique and special to the owner.
We recommend purchasing a few wool diaper covers to make sure that there is sufficient drying time between changes. Many families purchase one diaper cover to try and then add more after a few days or weeks of trying one out. Crystal wrote a blog post about How To Lanolize Wool Covers.